Position: President/Chief Executive Officer
Location: Office environment with time at event and member locations, Palm Coast, FL
Reports to: Chamber Chairman of the Board, Executive Committee & Board of Directors
The President & CEO is the chief executive officer and administrative officer for the Chamber. He/she is expected to provide visionary leadership for the Chamber and the Flagler County Chamber’s business community and is responsible to the Board of Directors for the full range of activities needed to ensure the Chamber’s success in meeting its objectives in business and community development, external relations, membership and member services, legislative advocacy and government affairs and special programs. He/she is responsible for strategic planning, interpretation of policy, the development of the Chamber’s annual Program of Action, organization structure, budget and finances, volunteer development and membership growth, the employment, development and supervision of staff and the maintenance of the Chamber’s headquarters.
- Strategic & Operational Planning – In conjunction with the Board of Directors, Strategic Planning Committee and staff, develops and implements a strategic, long-range plan and annual Program of Action to advance the Chamber’s mission. Works with Chamber committees to identify issues and needs and develops plans to address them. Evaluates effectiveness and measures progress towards attainment.
- Board Relations – Builds and maintains strong relationships and communications with the Chair of the Board, Executive Committee and Board of Directors. Provides leadership necessary to garner maximum engagement of Board members. In conjunction with the Board Chair, plans and organizes Executive Committee and Board meetings.
- Policy Development, Implementation & Interpretation – Assists the Board in the development of policy, as needed, and is responsible for the execution of policies adopted by the Board. Responsible for the proper order of business as established in the Chamber’s bylaws.
- Organization Structure & Procedures – Continuously evaluates the Chamber’s organizational structure, policies and procedures to ensure their effectiveness in identifying and addressing Chamber and community needs and issues. Recommends changes in structure, procedures and policies as needed.
- Advocacy & Public Policy – Collaborates with the Board to identify and manage the Chamber’s relationships with and advocacy efforts before local, state and federal government bodies to achieve desired outcomes. Leverages and maximizes the Chamber’s influence through relationships with government officials, delivering testimony and building coalitions among those with similar views. Develops and communicates legislative and public affairs positions, as approved by the Board of Directors. Serves as the chief spokesperson on policy matters for the Chamber.
- Membership Relations, Development & Retention – Assists with recruiting and retaining new and existing members of the Chamber and is responsible for maintaining the membership at a level needed to ensure the income needed to support the annual program of Action. Provides leadership in the area of membership services to ensure there is a compelling value proposition for current and prospective members. Works effectively with executives of companies and organizations of all types and sizes across the broad range of Chamber members throughout the Chamber’s market area. Ensures the effectiveness of current group benefit programs. With others, analyzes and interprets the needs of members and recommends revisions to increase membership value, engagement and financial support.
- Program & Services Development – Provides staff and committees with the tools, guidance and resources needed to develop new, creative, value-added programs, benefits and services for the membership. Reviews and evaluates program and benefit proposals to help ensure their effectiveness.
- Budget & Finances – Develops annual budget in conjunction with priorities determined by the Board of Directors. Manages revenues and expenses in accordance with established budget and ensures the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements.
- Staff Administration – Builds and maintains a staff consistent with program needs and financial resources. Is responsible for the employment of all staff members, the assignment of their responsibilities and duties, the supervision of their work and the establishment – within the framework of the approved budget – of the terms of their employment.
- Headquarters – As approved by the Board of Directors, is responsible for the location, design and maintenance of the Chamber’s headquarters to ensure their efficient operation and professional appearance and atmosphere as the community’s “front door” for Chamber members, visitors and the general public.
- Committee Responsibilities – Provides staff support, including the preparation of agendas, minutes and performance of duties specifically related to the following governing bodies and committees:
- Board of Directors
- Executive Committee
- Board Development Committee
- Other committees as assigned
- Other Duties As Assigned – Performs various other assignments as directed by the Board of Directors, Board Chair and other appropriate members that are congruent with the Chamber’s mission and bylaws.